Wow another year over huh? Where did the time go? I say it every year but 2014 really did seem to zoom by. As is customary at this time of year I’m looking back on the year that was and reflecting on the choices I made, the things I did, the events that moved me and the moments I shared with those nearest and dearest to me. Read on for details of my 2014 and leave me a comment about something that shaped 2014 for you …
My fledgling blog is only four months old so there is not that much to reflect on to be honest but these are some of my favourites so far …
1. The Wednesday Pants series has been running now for sixteen weeks. I wanted to pick my favourite to date but I couldn’t choose just one. Week 14 with the Zebra Portofino and week 16 on NYE with Michael Kors and Custom made Prada’s are my picks of the bunch so far. If everything all goes to plan there will be 36 more episodes in 2015. I hope you will continue to follow along. What has been you favourite look so far?
2. Over 11,000 Page Views! When I started this blog I thought only 3 people would look at it The Enabler, The Co-Conspirator and The Reality Checker but I’m blown away that a few others have actually read it.
3.The Lust List – Every good hunter needs a plan of attack and this is mine. It’s very organic and invariably as something get crossed off more items get added. Check of what I am currently lusting after here. Oh if only I had unlimited funds …
4. I Have Followers! – Who would have thought! While I’m not going to dominate the blogging world anytime soon I’m very grateful that I have been able to connect with people from all corners of the globe. I’m hoping to build on these numbers in 2015.
5. Launching Friday’s Fancy – This is very new and I started this to be an outlet to step away from The Wednesday Pants which has been dominating my blog. This post is officially the first Friday’s Fancy of 2015. Read some of the others here.
My Biggest Bargains …
1. Upper St Custom Made Shoes – ($136 & $161 RRP $414 & $477 each Saving $594) – From The Weekly Wrap #16. Below are the animated pictures from the design gizmo on the website followed by the real life versions. These worked out to be almost 70% off. I’m waiting for another super special. The grey patent was not exactly as I was expecting (I was hoping for a little lighter) but they are great and I can see these being summer staples. I love a custom made shoe and there are lots of options these days. Check out my favourites here.
2. H&M Trench – From The Weekly Wrap #5. 50% discount but seriously where else could you get a trench coat for $35??? Crazy cheap but it doesn’t look it as so many of H&M’s garments can. Perfect for spring or autumn but doesn’t have the warmth for winter. I wore this in The Wednesday Pants #4.
3. Nikon D3200 Camera ($427 RRP $599 Saving $172) – From The Weekly Wrap #13. My first ever DSLR. I love it! Mr SFH is really getting into it but I’m still using it on Auto lol. Maybe 2015 will be the year I progress!
4. Saba Sabine Dress ($104 RRP $299 Saving $195) Featured in The Weekly Wrap #8. The Reality Checker made me try this one on and with such a steep discount I couldn’t resist. I haven’t worn it yet as I am waiting for the right occasion.
5. Vickor & Rolf Flowerbomb ($105 RRP $159 Saving $54) Featured in The Weekly Wrap #16, I love this and have been wearing it non stop since I got it. Perfect for summer.
My Favourite Purchases …
Can I really only pick 5? OK here goes … I did kinda cheat by doubling up on a couple lol
1. Tiffany T Rings. I am seriously loving just about every single item in the T collection. There are more on The Lust List that I hope to acquire in 2015 … Hint to Mr SFH my birthday is coming up and I would be thrilled to get the bangle 🙂
2. Made to Order Prada’s. These are seriously drool worthy and quite an extravagance but I couldn’t resist. I only hope Prada does more of these … And they have my initials! Featured here.
3. Dior Tote – This one was bought before the blog was started and holds very special meaning because this was my reward for reaching goal with my weight loss. I kept my eyes on the prize for 6 months and finally reached goal and made this very special purchase in June. It is my daily workday workhorse and I love it.
4. Saskia Pintuck Swing Dress – From The Weekly Wrap #16. I refer to this as my fat dress. Everyone needs one of these. Super flattering and perfect for hiding a food baby. I bought the size 6 which is the smallest size they make this in but I needed to take it taken in. I found an amazing local woman to do this for me through Facebook. If you’re in SW Sydney and need work done I highly recommend you contact Marisa.
5. Portofino Shirts – I first discovered these through On The Daily Express. If you haven’t checked out this blog yet you should! Now I am officially an addict. I have about 10. My favourites are The Zebra above and the Leopard below. I have a few I have yet to wear. And now they make them in sleeveless … perfect for summer!
My Personal Memories …
1. Weight Loss – I ended 2014 22 kilos lighter than I started it. I feel so much better in myself it’s hard to describe how much easier life is at a healthy weight. It’s not easy but if your are interested it how I did it you can read about it here.
2. Trips To Thailand, Bali & Hawaii – I love to travel and am always on the look out for cheap flights. This year I was lucky enough to travel to Thailand, Bali and Hawaii. Thailand and Bali were both with Mr SFH and The Co-Conspirator came along to Hawaii with her two little rug rats. I sincerely hope 2015 will see me expand my horizons even further.
3. A Fabulous Weekend in Melbourne – I spend a lot of time in Melbourne for work but this mostly consists of being in the office or my hotel room. In December I was lucky enough to spend the weekend with The Enabler. We had a ball! We ate great food at Nobu (read about it here), saw Grease at The Theatre, danced until 2am and of course shopped up a storm. We need to do this again real soon!
4. No back To School – My baby boy finished High School (he passed!!!) in 2013 and so when January rolled around this year for the first time since 1997, I found myself with no children in school. Such mixed feelings and while I mourn by boys childhoods I know they will both welcome the challenges that adulthood brings and I will still always be here to support them as I have always done. Love them both to bits!
5. Starting My Blog – Not something I even contemplated at the beginning of the year but something I am so glad I did. Read how it all came about here.
Events That Moved Me …
The world has seen much change since January last year and tellingly the moments that affected me the most are the tragedies that have occured this year. I’m going to keep this brief because it’s not very SFH but these events touched me and made me more aware of the world we live in. They also serve as a reminder to us all to live life to the fullest as we have but a brief stint on this planet. Carpe Diem!
1. Sydney Seige – December 2014 – While one lunatic bought this city to it’s knees early on a Monday morning, in the aftermath Sydneysiders responded in the most surprising and uplifting ways which makes me very proud. Our justice system clearly let us down in this case.
2. 10 year Anniversary Tsunami – December 2014 – I love travelling through South East Asia, particularly Thailand and Bali. The people are some of the warmest and most welcoming on the planet. This year saw the 10 year anniversary of the tsunami that took many, many lives in the region on boxing day 2004. The touching commemorative services bought a tear to my eye as I watched again the devastation that affected this area.
3. Malaysian Airline Disasters – March, July & December 2014 – It has not been a good year for aviation in general but the tiny county of Malaysian has been hit hard. First MH370 goes missing and despite large scale international searches has still not been located, then in July MH17 was shot down over Ukraine and finally Air Asia flight QZ8501 went down in December.
4. Nigerian School Girls Kidnapped – April 2014 – It’s absolutely astonishing that 300 girls could be kidnapped and still have not been returned home. If this happened in a Western country there would be outrage and much more publicity. I can’t imaging how their families must be feeling. I hope every single one of these angels are returned safe and sound but this seems more and more unlikely with each passing day.
5. Thailand Coup – April 2014 – We were actually in Thailand when this happened and saw how profoundly it affected the Thai people. We were sensible and changed our itinerary to skip Bangkok. I still hope to get there one day but there are worse things in life than having to spend an extra 5 days on Ko Phi Phi. This place is pretty close to heaven on Earth.
I look forward to 2015 … Bring It On!!!
Until Next Time …