Every fashionista knows that an amazing bag can make an outfit. While tiny little sparkly clutches are fabulous, let’s face it, they are not very practical unless all you are planning to carry around is a key, a credit card and a lippy. The tote however, delivers practically in spades and is certainly the workhorse of the bag family but that doesn’t mean that they can’t look gorgeous. I’ve got some great tips to help you pick the perfect tote and I’ve searched high and low to find you the very best options on the market right now. Read on for all the details …
5 Top Tote Buying Tips
1. Handles – Thickness and length is what you are looking for here. The handles need to be long enough so that you can slip them off your shoulder one at a time while on the move with the other hand full. So basically, longer than the length of your hand to elbow. If you are like me you will pile a mountain of stuff essentials in your tote so look for a slighter thicker strap as super thin ones will dig uncomfortably into your shoulder when carrying weight.
2. Internals – Make sure it has plenty of compartments inside. Totes by nature are deep and you don’t want to be fishing around right at the bottom for tiny items. Look for a phone pocket and a zipped compartment for pens, lippy, keys etc near the top to keep these items within easy reach. At least one internal divider it critical to separate your laptop from all the other stuff essentials that can roll underneath it and possibly never be found again.
3. Material – Totes are big and bulky and unlikely to be pampered. They will be placed on the floor. A lot! So look for a durable material. Saffiano or patent leather is ideal. Metal feet at the base to keep the material of the ground is a bonus.
4. Test Drive – Don’t be afraid to fill it up in the store with everything you are likely to carry around and see how it handles it. At a minimum it should fit your laptop comfortably.
5. Desirability – This is last for a reason. I’m not going to deny that it is important to like the way your tote looks. I have certainly been guilty of falling in lust with a bag before and buying it for looks alone only to be disappointed with how it ‘works’ when I have actually used it. The ideal tote is going to deliver all 5 so please don’t just think with your heart alone here. Just because it looks good doesn’t mean you should compromise on the practicality because you will only be disappointed in the long run.
Okey la Dokily, now you know what to look for it’s time to hit the stores. Here’s some inspiration to get you started. Some of these I already own and some I’m just lusting after …
Until Next Time …